If you’ve ever woken up in the morning and not quite recognized the face you see in the mirror, you’re not alone. For many of us, aging is a process that seems to happen virtually overnight, with lines and wrinkles appearing as if out of nowhere.
Letting gravity and time take their natural course can be beautiful, but it’s also okay to be less-than-satisfied with seeing a stranger staring back at you every time you catch your reflection.
So what’s the solution? Get your skin healthy from the inside out. Drinking more water, boosting your circulation through exercise, and adding collagen-promoting, free radical-scavenging foods to your diet can get you the youthful-looking skin you want without making a major dent in your budget.
If you’re eager to enjoy a luminous complexion, start by adding these foods to your diet.
- Salmon: Start your quest for younger-looking skin by adding some omega-3s to your diet. Research conducted at Purdue University reveals that omega-3s can help your body create new collagen-forming cells, making it a perfect addition to any anti-aging diet.
- Steak : Enjoying a steak from time to time could be the key to a more youthful look. Beef is a great source of alpha lipoid acid, an antioxidant that fights free radicals and inflammation. Researchers at Oregon State University have even found that ALA can improve circulation and slow the aging process, so go ahead and indulge those red meat cravings once in a while.
- Grapefruit : Start your day with grapefruit and start yourself on a path toward younger looking skin. Grapefruit is an excellent source of vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant that fends off free radicals, boosts your immune system, helps aid the collagen-making process, and even has photoprotective properties.
- Garlic : Garlic may be no friend to your breath, but when it comes to your skin, it can’t be beat. Not only does antioxidant-rich garlic fight inflammation, it’s also a great way to protect against damaging UV rays and fight free radicals that can damage your skin and overall health
- White tea: Sip your way to healthier skin by making white tea part of your meal plan today. White tea is loaded with antioxidants, which can help fight skin damage and fend off those pesky lines and wrinkles.
- Cashew: Instead of grabbing a processed convenience snack, enjoy some cashews the next time the munchies hit — you might just see an improvement in your skin from it. Cashews are packed with skin-softening, wrinkle-fighting vitamin E, as well as plenty of zinc, which can help fight inflammation that can lead to the appearance of aging skin.
- Oranges: An orange a day does more than keep your immune system healthy, it can also keep your skin looking young. Oranges are a terrific source of anti-aging antioxidant vitamin C, as well as being one of the more hydrating fruits, the water content of which can reduce your risk of blemishes and fine lines while keeping it soft and smooth.
- Lemon : Add a squeeze of lemon to your favorite recipe or drink and enjoy one of the best age-fighters out there. Not only can the polyphenols in lemon make your skin look younger, researchers at the University of Szeged in Hungary have even discovered that antioxidant-rich fruit can help reduce your risk of acne, too.
- Watermelon : This summer staple does more than cool you down on a hot day — it’s also a powerhouse food when it comes to your skin. Watermelon’s high water content can help keep your skin clear and radiant, while its vitamin C can help reduce inflammation that can make you look older.
- Eggs : Pump up your protein intake and enjoy a line-free face for longer. Protein-rich eggs can help add some skin-smoothing vitamin E and zinc to your diet, as well as loading it with lutein and zeaxanthin, antioxidants that can help protect everything from your skin to your eyes from the deleterious effects of aging.