Happenings Health

Sad As Mum, 37, Dies On Holiday After Eating One Mouthful Of Raw Chicken

Sad As Mum, 37, Dies On Holiday After Eating One Mouthful Of Raw Chicken

A fit and healthy mother died on a family holiday in Greece after eating just one mouthful of uncooked chicken.

Natalie Rawnsley caught food poisoning at a hotel restaurant but within 36 hours of blood clots formed all over her body and she died.

The 37-year-old, from Harpenden, Herts, lay bleeding from every orifice in a hospital bed in Corfu on August 13 last year as she was on holiday with her husband and two children.

Husband Stewart told Westminster Coroner’s Court: ‘The hotel had two or three restaurants. It was a buffet or restaurant and we had all four of us eating together.

‘I had both my boys with me, we had pasta, bread, and sausages. Natalie had a completely different dinner which consisted of chicken, salad, prawns, and vegetables.

‘Natalie started to eat hers and as she cut the chicken the chicken oozed red blood to which point I commented it looked bloody.

‘She got up. took it back, replaced the chicken with a different piece and came back and ate it. She had had a few mouthfuls of the other piece of chicken.’

Mr. Rawnsley said his wife complained of feeling unwell and he was woken at 3 am when she started throwing up in the hotel bathroom.

He told the inquest: ‘The doctor came at around 7 am. After he diagnosed gastroenteritis at that point he told us to separate to stop me and the kids catching it.

‘At 11 am I came back to check on her. She was still being sick and asked me to go back to the doctors and get more assistance.’

Mrs. Rawnsley, a stay-at-home mum, was then moved to the Corfu hospital, on the other side of the island, in the early evening after doctors said she ‘needed additional medical help’.

Mr. Rawnsley said: ‘At 11 pm the first doctor knocked on my door and explained that I needed to get dressed and I needed to come to the hospital quickly.

‘I thought my wife was going to be home in the morning.’

As Mrs. Rawnsley’s brother and niece arrived, her relatives gathered around her as she lay unconscious in the makeshift intensive care unit.

Mr. Rawnsley added: ‘At around 1 pm her brother and I notice her heart monitor was getting weaker and it continued.

‘I screamed out and her brother screamed out. Medical assistance arrived and we were removed from the room.

‘We were outside the door and they were in there five or ten minutes and then the same nurse came out and apologized as there wasn’t anything more she could do, and Natalie died.’

The court was told the probability of contracting the more serious illness from food poisoning depends entirely on your genes.

advertisehereladder
advertisehereladder