Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are splitting from their joint charity with Prince William and Kate Middleton amid claims of a growing rift between the royal couples.
Seen as the final step in the division of the couples’ public duties, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex confirmed they are leaving the Royal Foundation and setting up their own charity.
William and Kate will remain with the original charity, which will be renamed the Royal Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge later this year.
The split was announced on Thursday afternoon, a day after William and Harry met with trustees to finalise the arrangements.
The foundation said the move was taken to “better align” the couples’ charitable activities.
There had been rumours for weeks that the Royal Foundation would be divided after Harry and Meghan moved to Frogmore Cottage in Windsor and split their household from Will and Kate earlier this year.
“Any announcement regarding the outcome of this review will be made in due course.”
On Thursday, the foundation said both couples will continue to work together in the future on the Heads Together mental health campaign and other projects.
A spokesperson for Kensington Palace said: “Later this year The Royal Foundation will become the principal charitable and philanthropic vehicle for The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.