The Juventus forward, Cristiano Ronaldo has been ordered to submit a DNA sample by police as part of their investigation into rape allegations made against him. He has sturdily denied claims that he raped former model Kathryn Mayorga, 34, after meeting her in a Las Vegas nightclub on June 13, 2009. Mayorga, who filed the complaint last year, alleges she was paid $375,000 to keep quiet,
Ronaldo’s lawyer Peter Christiansen said the DNA request was just standard procedure.
In a statement, he said: ‘Mr. Ronaldo has always maintained, as he does today, that what occurred in Las Vegas in 2009 was consensual in nature, so it is not surprising that DNA would be present, nor that the police would make this very standard request as part of their investigation.’ The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department said it had made an official request to Italian authorities, adding it is ‘taking the same steps in this case as in any other sexual assault to facilitate the collection of DNA evidence.’
Ronaldo’s lawyers have said that the non-disclosure agreement signed with the former model is ‘by no means a confession of guilt.’ Mayorga’s attorney has previously said that the model agreed to an out-of-court settlement to keep her name from going public, but was inspired to speak out by the #MeToo movement against sexual harassment.